Proverbs 16:7

When a man's ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him. Proverbs 16:7 KJV

Thursday, May 28, 2015

May 29 Update

Sorry for the disappearance but just got in a rut nothing new, I was just making miles. Just when you start getting bore and thinking about going home look out.

Tara got in touch and wanted to bring Charlie, Anna and William to see me so we started making plans as to where we could meet. I picked a place early in the week near Atkins, VA and made plans to check with each other later. Well, I  didn't plan on no phone service and as the weekend got closer I  realized I  could not get to the spot I picked. I couldn't  get Tara so I started sweating and looked for other places or options. It was Memorial Day weekend so we had to think about other people and vacations. Tara was already ahead of me and found a nice hotel with a in door pool about 20 miles away in Wytheville. Great, now all I  had to do was get somewhere where they could pick me up. I starting asking other hikers about any new hostels or hotels and found out a new hostel (not open yet) was very near. I was only about 8 miles away and it was my last chance. I finally got Tara and told her the general area it was and took off. I got to the road and after flagging down a lady, discovered that they were working on it. She even offered to take me there and off we went. I got to the house knock on the door and someone was there. It turned out she was taken hikers even  though they were still in construction and would open in 2016. So I asked if I could just hang around until Tara came and pick me up. I would come back spend the night if things worked out and she said certainly. So I called Tara and gave her directions and found out she was running behind but at least we had a plan. I wished Vikki had come  but she had other plans (not what I hoped) but at least someone was coming. Well as it turned out Vikki was coming and boy was I  glad to see all of them. Well we had a great time, played in the indoor pool and my spirits  were sky high. They left the next day, I hit the trail full of energy and began to realize with some big days I could be home in 3 weeks.

Then everything starting going right plus Grayson Highlands was coming up where the wild ponies live. The north bound hikers really started to increase and every shelter was fulled. That didn't bother me as I usually camped out even at the shelters but it meant more noise thus harder to get to sleep. These were younger people and more groups that were staying together so more party time. That's life all I hope is that the seeds I covered them with and God's power will get through.

      Now the ponies,everyone was talking about them and how beautiful the Highlands were. I was told I was about 2 days away but I picked up my pace with some 18+ miles days and there they were. The combination of meadows mixed in with mountains and big rock formations plus ponies makes for a beautiful display of God's creation. I was able to walk among the ponies, see the colts and I don't know why but I thought about my Dad and how he would have enjoyed it. He loved anything that brought joy to kids. So I didn't let time matter, I just enjoyed every second there. If you have little kids or grandkids start making plans to go. It's one of the prettiest places I have seen so far.

Well this is a good place to stop and to update the mileage. I'm now in Damacus at mileage 1716 which means 194 more miles to go. Six more miles and I  can check Virginia off my list!!!!!!!!. I'm in my last 2 weeks give or take 1 to 2 days and then I can add that 725 more miles to my total. I feel great and can walk 8 hours with my 30+ pounds pack without much trouble. I have lost about 15 pounds from the 175 starting weigh and other than a little knee soreness have felt good.

Keep the prayers coming as God has watched out for this old boy and I can't wait to share the ups and downs of the my hike.
Meekness

No comments:

Post a Comment